March 21, 2011

Quilt Monday: Hex Flower Progress

Quilt: Hex Flowers
Progress: 40/100 blocks (40%)

I'll just come out and say it: Quilt Monday posts can be a real struggle for those of us who don't churn out several - or more - quilts a month. It's not that I wouldn't love to be so productive. It's just that I'm not.

I do seem to excel in amassing long term projects, and in keeping them going for as long as humanly possible. A virtue? Probably not, but it is what it is, and chugging along at a slow pace is better than chugging along at no pace at all.

Which is why, when faced with hour after hour of unseasonable snow fall, I decided to spend the bulk of today working on, like, three hex flowers. Because hex flowers take forever. They wouldn't be worth it, except, in the end, they look like this:


Which I love.

I've been making hex flowers and appliqueing them to white squares for about a year and a half now, on and off. I'm happy to say I still find the process quite satisfying, but, in trying to run a business, I don't have as much time as I'd like to devote it. Still, in an effort to finish a bed-sized quilt this decade, I've decided to start tracking my progress here on the blog. The little dotted box at the top of the post is my attempt at keeping the info straight.

If nothing else, it will save me from having count up my finished blocks every time I add a few to the pile. Which means more much needed time for hexin'.